Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Remember me?

November 2011 was my last post. My goodness, time flies. But the blog is still here, isn't it? So I'm going to write a post! How bout that!

This post I felt was necessary because for the first time in my 12 years with Type I Diabetes, I had a pretty serious medical emergency. Scared the BUHJESUS out of me (and my friends). I was on a camping trip, eating different foods than usual, bike riding, having a few drinks... and I took too much insulin before going to bed. My body always wakes me up when my blood sugar dips, and this time was no different except for that I didn't have anything right nearby to treat myself. My stuff was in the car outside the tent, and it wasn't my car. I said to my friend, "I need your keys!" and then I remember nothing until I woke up in the ambulance.

I had a grand mal seizure "also known as a generalized tonic-clonic seizure - features a loss of consciousness and violent muscle contractions." My friends sprung into action, started delegating, somebody called 911 and an ambulance came (this is what I was told). I don't know how long it took for the ambulance to get there, but I woke up as I was being put into it and had NO IDEA what was going on. I also lost some short term memory which was extremely frightening.

They treated me, and I was in the hospital for monitoring from about 1:30 AM until 7 AM when they discharged me. I hope nothing like this EVER happens again, it was absolutely horrible and I'm so sorry my friends had to go through that, but I am endlessly thankful for their quick actions. And this is proof of the reason why you should always tell people you're with that you have diabetes. All of my friends knew already, but that isn't necessarily the case all the time.

I am okay physically except for huge bite marks in my lip, just still emotionally a little overwhelmed and trying to process it all.

So my advice to you (and to myself) is to never ever assume your blood sugar is a certain number before taking insulin. You could be way off! Danger danger!

1 comment: