Thursday, June 30, 2011

A little extra!

Oh my goodness, what a response! Thank you to everyone for checking this out! I feel so extra especial! And exclamation points are the key to life!

I'm still trying to figure out what each post will consist of, and I didn't even quite get everything in that first one that I wanted... but short posts are easier (to read, and to write). I truly hope that my experiences and knowledge somehow make it to the people who need it the most, because I know I could've used a 'me' when I was diagnosed. A doctor telling me that it'll be fine and I'll get used to it is not really all that believable when I've already glazed over and think my normal life has come to an end.

I specifically remember meeting with my... second cousin? I don't even know exactly what our relation is, but he also has Type I Diabetes. He told me that eventually it just becomes second nature. Then his dad chimed in and added that "it's just like me having to put on my glasses every day." Excuse me, no. Injecting insulin into my body with a needle every day is not the same as PUTTING ON GLASSES! Of course now, 9 years later, that is exactly what it's like. I cannot imagine a day without checking my blood sugar and taking insulin. He spoke the truth.

A typical day for me includes checking my blood sugar 4-5 times (before breakfast, before lunch, before I exercise, and before dinner- I SHOULD check it before I go to bed; but for me, if I know my blood sugar before dinner and don't eat anything out of the ordinary, I know what it'll be before bed). I take "fast acting" insulin (Humalog) with my breakfast (I sprinkle it on my cereal. No I don't.), and that goes for lunch and dinner as well. Every day around noon, however is when I take the "long acting" insulin (Lantus) which is the base-line that works for 24 hours. Injections don't hurt, and checking my blood sugar doesn't hurt. You've had it done when you get a physical (the way they do it actually DOES hurt though).

As comfortable as I am with having this disease, I don't know how other people feel about it. So unless I know the person well, I will not do any diabetussness for all eyes to see. Some people are terrified of needles, I can't fault 'em for that! I've also encountered people who don't seem to understand a polite/socially acceptable way to react when I tell them I have diabetes. I've gotten, "What did you do to get that?!" How nice of you to be so sensitive, I went down to the corner store and found it on aisle 7.5.

I just had dinner with a friend of mine and we were talking about my post #1, and she was just asking questions about everything. That is my absolute favorite. I LOVE when people are interested and willing to listen and learn. It's so much a part of my life now, that when I try to explain certain things to untrained ears, I remember I need to really break it down (I was once in that same boat). And I love it. So please feel free to ask questions (that will also help me for ideas for posts)!! Thank you again to everyone for your support, this is very exciting for me!
Anyway, just a little extra day-1 burst of information!

No comments:

Post a Comment