Friday, July 1, 2011

Answers

Questions be comin in, I be gonna give da answers!

1. Why did you lose weight?
When the body isn't processing carbohydrates to convert them to fuel, they convert to sugar and the sugar just stays in the blood. Sugar in the blood = blood sugar. Since the body isn't getting fuel from food, it starts to "eat" the fat. Ergo, henceforth: weight loss. That is the least science-y answer I can give. Partially because the real science version I need to read again... because I can't quite remember.

2. What is the difference between Type I and Type II Diabetes?
EXCELLENT question, because that difference is substantial. Type I is 'insulin dependent' and a person with this disease has to inject insulin because his or her (I am a her) pancreas no longer creates its own insulin. Also, it is not reversible or curable (although a cure is right around the corner).

Type II Diabetes is not always insulin dependent, and oral medication is typically taken to treat it. Diet and exercise can reverse Type II. If that were possible for Type I, I'd have NOT had diabetes for about 9 years now. Dang. Type II is usually diagnosed later in life and it is more often than not people who have very unhealthy lifestyles and diets.

3. Can you eat cookies, cake, etc.?
Yes, yes I can. I try not to, but if I want to, I do. I just need to adjust my insulin dosage to accommodate the carbohydrates/sugar. What I do NOT do is drink juice and soda. Those things are loaded with sugar and it's not worth it.

More questions to be answered, and in more detail... and more scientifically accurate. Happy 4th of July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment