Thursday, July 28, 2011

Addendum to the math post

I wanted to clarify that my intention was not to scramble your brain with mathematics, but only to show off my math skills. No, wait... that wasn't the goal either. I'm not really sure what the goal was, but it certainly wasn't to confuse anyone. In reality, all the calculations are easy (once you know how/why/when/zen), but writing them all at once even made my brain hurt. It's more difficult to explain than to DO.

I also wanted to note that of course not everything I eat has a label. So I do a lot of estimating, particularly when I go out to restaurants. Roasted chicken on a bed of risotto does not have the ADA exchange rate listed on the underside of the plate (or DOES it?!). After a short time, I got very good at the guessing and estimating. Naturally, sometimes the guessing is a bit off, but that's to be expected. A salad with apple slices for example- I think of the carbs in an apple (average 25grams) and check out about how many slices on the salad- probably about a whole apple, so that's 25grams right there. Maybe there are some crispy tortilla strips on that salad too! A whole small tortilla would be about 25grams of carbs also, and I'd bet that about 3/4ths of the tortilla was on the salad, so I'd add 20grams. Then I'd factor in a couple grams here and there for dressing, cheese (goat cheese for this salad thankyouverymuch), etc... so for this fictitious (but delicious, no?) salad, I would take about 5 or 6 units of insulin (because there were about 50-60 grams of carbs in it).

Anyway... don't be confused, count your foods (or I will)!

2 comments:

  1. Liv, Remember when you were overwhelmed and confused by all this and now you're a carbo Wizard, helping all the wizards-in-training out there in CarboLand!
    Love, Mummalog

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you were overwhelmed and confused...

    Go to my blog and relax!

    ReplyDelete