Friday, August 12, 2011

Blogging is harddddd

It's tough to post on a regular basis! Sometimes I just don't know what to write about. Perhaps I could pick one day and walk you through what goes on (related to blood sugar and insulin, of course). I'll do that soon.

For today though I will touch on the topic of weight loss! Intentional weight loss that is. My freshman year of college I thought, "Good thing I have this nutritional plan, otherwise I'd gain the Freshman 15 just like everyone else!" Well guess what happened, I totally gained my Freshman... 10 maybe. Things like peanut butter mixed with vanilla soft serve ice cream might've done the trick (man that was so good). Peanut butter and cheese are foods considered "free" in the diabetes world because they aren't carbohydrates. Vegetables are more of a free food than PB and cheese are, but still. I love me some peanut butter. And peanut butter loves it some... me. Anyway, after freshman year was over I was at a weight I wasn't comfortable with, so decided to shed a few ell-beez. I honestly can't remember exactly what I did, but going into my Sophomore year I was probably down about 15 pounds! I don't think I even weighed myself, I can't remember. I'm sure I just controlled my portions more strictly. For the rest of college my weight probably fluctuated within 5-10 pounds but I never went to one extreme or the other thank goodness!

October 2010 I had my yearly physical at the doctor and they weighed me (which I never do for myself) and it was at a number I wasn't a huge fan of. So I decided to read some labels, and start thinking about calories more carefully. Even though I've been exercising since high school I never gave two hoots about calories and didn't even look at what was in anything. Once I started looking and calculating calories in combined with calories burned, I realized what I'd have to do if I wanted to lose some weight. Since then, I've just been noticing what I've been consuming. I still treat myself to certain things if I feel like it, but just being more aware is helpful. The flip side of all this is that calorie counting can make anybody go insane if they become too obsessed. And for me particularly since treating low blood sugar = more calories. It's tough sometimes, but obviously treating low blood sugars is priority over consuming a certain number of calories in a day. And then the actual working out comes into play... the longer I work out, the more sugar/carbs I need to 'cover' myself so my blood sugar doesn't dip too low. So I could just start my workout with really high blood sugar so that I don't need to eat anything, but... who wants to work out while hungry?! NOBODY! It's horrible. Even worse than that though is that high blood sugar is not good. Yet another balancing act I've become quite good at! All of these things take practice. When I got diagnosed I thought I'd be the same weight for the rest of my life since I was on a meal/carb-counting plan. But uhdoy, who stays on the same meal plan for the rest of her life? Not this guy. I gained weight, woops. I figured out how to lose it. Hooray! As long as I'm feeling well and happy where I am... that's all I need.

Bullet Point: I'm not really sure. Happy FRIDAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment