Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Exercise is a drug

I don't say that because I'm 'addicted' to exercise, I say that because exercise acts like insulin!! Maintaining a daily exercise regimen has made and continues to make a world of a difference for my diabetes control. Part of the reason my blood sugar wasn't astronomical at the time of my diagnosis was because I was exercising every day at crew practice.

I am certainly an exercise-advocate for anybody, diabetes or not; but it is just that much more important for somebody with diabetes. I don't have to take as much insulin because of exercise (like I said, exercise acts like insulin), and that will help keep me healthier longer. I can avoid the complications that go along with mismanaged diabetes, which can be very serious. Issues with circulation, eye-related problems, heart problems, kidney problems... there are a lot. BUT! Preventable. How excellent.

Bullet point: Exercise will save your life!
(Perhaps that's a mild exaggeration, but not too far off. It will LENGTHEN your life, that's for dang sure)

No comments:

Post a Comment