Monday, July 11, 2011

Sometimes it rains

Okay, I went from 0-100 on the posts, then forgot how to use a computer. I'm back, and know where the space bar is.

I've been trying to think of posts that will be interesting to any and everyone, and that's impossible. I'll just have to write what my brain tells me and if you like it, then hot diggity dawg! And if not... then cold dawgs. In all of my preaching about how living with diabetes is now routine for me and I hardly think much of it anymore, I have to say that isn't always the case. I'm not Superwoman... yet. There are days when I just don't feel like checking.my.dang.blood.sugar! Days I don't want to think about how people will react if I tell them, times I don't want to have to plan ahead and figure out how many syringes to bring with me on a trip (and bring a note from my doctor so I don't get kicked off a plane), and on and on. But I do it all anyway, because it's my life and taking care of myself is priority number ONE.

In addition to that, I was blessed (I think I sometimes might take this for granted) with a healthy upbringing. My family is a healthy one in terms of food and exercise. I was always an active kid, and I vividly remember hearing, "Have at least a little something green" at nearly every dinner. Nothing was ever forced, just recommended. And consistent recommendations stuck with me (thanks Mum and Dad). If I have a dinner without a salad, piece of broccoli, or a green crayon, it feels incomplete. That pattern of healthy eating was with me even before diabetes became a part of my life; and I'm certain that has aided in my success at maintaining my health. That being said, just because somebody didn't grow up the way I did, most definitely does not mean those habits can't be learned. If I learned about 7/10 (estimated) of 'what diabetes is' in 3 days at a hospital... anybody can learn about how eating vegetables is helpful, and that they don't necessarily taste gross.

Creating a routine is the key to managing diabetes well. Balancing blood sugar, insulin dosages, eating well, and exercising: get a pattern down with those 4 components, and the aggravating ups and downs won't happen as often. Another piece of sound advice is to allow yourself to get mad and be pissed of at Sir Diabetuss for a minute. He's a jerk sometimes and can handle some scrutiny. It's okay to feel down about having to deal with this disease. At the same time, remember it's not the worst thing in the world. Another scale to balance. It takes time, and is of course different for each individual. "Everything in moderation" is a motto (motto? adage? thing?) I live by, and it hasn't steered me wrong. Give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment